|
|
|
Executive presence begins before you say a word. |
It’s communicated through your pace, posture, energy, and ability to remain composed when everyone else is rushing to prove themselves, be heard, or get the last word in. |
The next time you enter an important meeting, event, or conversation, use this five-part framework: |
1. Slow down before you enter. |
Most people carry the frantic energy of their previous moment into the next one (observe this in the people around you). |
Your move: Stop for three seconds. Exhale. Straighten your posture. Decide how you want to be experienced before crossing the threshold. |
A powerful presence is intentional. |
2. Enter without searching for approval. |
Do not immediately reach for your phone, adjust your clothing, or scan the room anxiously for someone you know. You’ll probably see everyone else doing this. |
Instead, walk in at a measured pace. Look around calmly. Allow yourself to occupy the space. |
You are not waiting for permission to belong there. You’re in the room and that speaks for itself. |
3. Give people your complete attention. |
When someone is speaking, resist the urge to prepare your response. |
Listen without interrupting them, maintain comfortable eye contact, let them actually finish their thoughts. |
In a constantly distracted world, undivided attention feels like power. |
4. Speak in soundbites. |
I was told this by one of my own coaches years ago when I began doing television appearances. He told me that you may only have 2 or 3 minutes of airtime…be sure to get your point across cleanly and concisely. |
Do not bury your point beneath excessive context, disclaimers, or apologies. |
State your conclusion first. |
Instead of saying: |
“I was thinking…that maybe…we could potentially reconsider the timeline…” |
Say: |
“We need to reconsider the timeline.” |
You can provide the reasoning afterward (which may not even be requested). |
Remember: Clarity creates confidence. |
5. Finish your sentences cleanly. |
Avoid weakening your statement at the end with phrases such as: |
“Does that make sense?” |
“I don’t know, just a thought.” |
“But whatever you think is best.” |
Say what you believe. Then stop speaking. |
Silence does not diminish your authority. It gives your words somewhere to land. |
Executive presence is not about dominating every room. |
It is the ability to remain grounded enough that you do not need to. |
The most powerful person in the room is rarely the one trying hardest to appear powerful. |
It is the one whose presence says: |
“I know who I am, I know why I am here, and I do not need to rush.” |
For a whole on this (including a self-assessment) download the free Executive Presence Blueprint here with no catch: |
|
|
The_Executive_Presence_Blueprint.pdf
5.79 MB • PDF File
|
| Download |
|
Your coach, |
- James Michael Sama |
P.S.: If you’re looking for a private advisor to help you develop these qualities, let’s talk. |
|
|
No comments:
Post a Comment